Western portal of the short tunnel that leads to Kings Dock Street.. Beyond, Wapping Tunnel proper starts, around 2000 m long climbing at 1 in 48 to the cutting near Crown Street. Behind the camera the tracks ran the short distance to Wapping Goods Station and, later, Kings Dock. The tunnel opened in 1830, closing on 15 May 1972. The Liverpool & Manchester opening day (15/09/1830) trains started from Crown Street but on return from Manchester ran down through the tunnel to terminate here.