To the right are the remains of the north (Lancashire) side of the viaduct by which the original 1873 alignment of the Glazebrook East Jn - Skelton Jn line crossed the River Mersey. The viaduct consisted of a single girder span over the river itself, with a number of stone arches on either side. The river bed was where the photographer is standing. This became disused from 1893 when Manchester Ship Canal Railway Deviation No.4 was opened, including the new viaduct visible to the left. The River Mersey now flows along the Ship Canal in this area.