20200731_153037.jpg Northwich South JnThumbnailsIrlam Linear Park Northwich South JnThumbnailsIrlam Linear Park Northwich South JnThumbnailsIrlam Linear Park Northwich South JnThumbnailsIrlam Linear Park Northwich South JnThumbnailsIrlam Linear Park Northwich South JnThumbnailsIrlam Linear Park Northwich South JnThumbnailsIrlam Linear Park
Northwich Station Jn, taken looking south-westwards from the B5082 Middlewich Road overbridge just west of Northwich station. Straight on is the present passenger route towards Hartford and Chester, left is the freight-only line towards Middlewich, Sandbach and then Crewe.
Northwich via Mouldsworth to Helsby Jn (on the Birkenhead Railway route from Hooton to Helsby) was planned by the West Cheshire Railway (WCR) in 1862 but construction was delayed and the line didn't open until 1869; meanwhile in 1867 the WCR was taken over by the Cheshire Lines Committee. Mouldsworth to Chester Northgate was opened by the Chester & West Cheshire Junction Railway in 1875. The final change to the route towards Chester from here was the re-routing of trains into Chester (General) by a new connection at Mickle Trafford in 1969.
Northwich to Sandbach was opened by the London & North Western Railway in 1868 and closed to passengers in 1960.