Irlam Linear Park runs between Cadishead Way and Liverpool Road in Irlam, parallel to and on the north side of the present railway line. It is the original 1873 alignment of the Cheshire Lines Committee railway between Manchester Central and Liverpool Central via Warrington Central. Is was replaced in 1893 by the present route, which was built by the Manchester Ship Canal company as Railway Deviation No.5 to include the high level bridge over the Canal. Near here, but very difficult to photograph, there is a dip in the walkway which marks the site of the original 1873 rail bridge over the River Irwell. The post-1893 route also had a bridge over the Irwell, a three-span lattice girder structure that survived until 1988 when it was replaced by an embankment.