Deepdale Mill Street, looking north. Nearest the camera are the remains of the tracks of the original Preston and Longridge Railway route; some distance to the left was the original terminus at Deepdale Street. The 10 km line opened on 1 May 1840 as a horse-drawn tramway, mainly to carry stone from the quarries at Tootle Heights above Longridge. This section closed to passengers in 1850 when the new line via the Miley tunnels was opened. The black brickwork visible in the distance is the bridge over the newer route; the two routes joined at Skeffington Road some 250 m to the east. This crossing survived in use until the early 1990s to serve a coal depot at Deepdale Street.